Monday, September 6, 2010

Pepper and the Pied Pipers of Palestine

I'll admit it. I can be a pretty opinionated individual. Sometimes, I make up my mind too quickly and sometimes I don't wait to hear both sides of the story. I had been worried this is what had happened, when I went and decided that the Israelites were 100% correct in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. "How could anyone else think otherwise?" I often thought to myself, bewildered that there was more than one opinion on the subject.

But I have a lot of Jewish friends and I live in the West, so I figured I was probably getting a biased view of the matter. Maybe the Palestinians really did deserve getting their land back. Maybe they really did have some point or other that I completely missed.

So I decided to go to the Hamas website. Maybe if I could see things from their perspective, the debate as a whole would become clearer to me. So I did. I went on the English version of their website. At first, all that really struck me was the loud chanting that was playing in the background. It was pretty obnoxious. However, it didn't necessarily mean they were wrong. It just meant they kinda weren't exactly the best singers on the planet.

So I went to the heart of the website and began looking at the various articles they had posted. "Settler Savagely attacks Seven Palestinian Farmers in Bethlehem." Alright, so it wasn't the most neutral website I could find. But I figured that was alright, because I had come here to get a perspective. I hadn't been looking for news. And besides, I can appreciate the alliteration. I like doing it, too. My alliteration is more along the lines of, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers," but the concept is still the same. Really, these guys don't seem so-

All of a sudden, the words flew at my eyes like a Boeing 767. My bottom jaw quickly disengaged itself from my upper-jaw and I re-read the headline, "Who Says There is No Jewish Nazism?"

Just for the record, I say there is no Jewish Nazism.

No comments:

Post a Comment